Fruited Irish Oatmeal Recipe
Cook Time: 3 hrs / Servings: 8
Here’s a fruit-laden breakfast dish that is just right for starting out the day. Filled with cranberries, raisins, and apricots, this oatmeal can be topped in any number of ways. Maple syrup, brown sugar, chopped nuts, and/or milk are only a few of the “extras” that can be added. It is important to remember to use steel-cut Irish oats, because no other type will stand up to a lengthy cooking time.
- 2 cups steel-cut Irish oats
- 5 cups water
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup snipped dried apricots
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Brown sugar or maple syrup
- Chopped toasted walnuts or pecans
- In a 3 1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker combine oats, water, apple juice, cranberries, raisins, apricots, the 1/4 cup maple syrup, cinnamon, and salt.
- Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 6 to 7 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 to 3 1/2 hours.
- Serve oatmeal with brown sugar or additional maple syrup, chopped nuts, and milk. Makes 8 to 10 servings.
- Test Kitchen Tip: To reheat, place a single serving of oatmeal in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave, covered, on 100-percent power (high) for 1 minute; stir. Cook, covered, for 15 to 30 seconds more or until heated through.