Peppercorn Melange Chicken and Udon Noodles
Prep: 20 minutes / Cook: 25 minutes
The pairing of Peppercorn Melange and sake adds heat and floral notes to this Japanese-inspired meal-in-one udon noodle bowl with grilled chicken, shitake mushrooms and vegetables.
Recipe courtesy of McCormick.
This recipe is the result of flavor studies showing new trends in pairings. Read more about how the flavor forecast pairings are chosen.
Nutritional Information Per Serving: 263 Calories, Fat 5g, Protein 29g, Carbohydrates 22g, Cholesterol 60 mg, Sodium 744mg, Fiber 1g.
- 2 teaspoons McCormick Gourmet Collection Peppercorn Melange, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick Gourmet Collection Sicilian Sea Salt
- 1 1/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 3 stalks McCormick Gourmet Collection Lemon Grass
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 4 heads baby bok choy, cut in half lengthwise
- 8 shitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1/3 cup dry sake (Japanese rice wine)
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick Gourmet Collection Ground Ginger
- 1/2 cup snow peas
- 1/4 cup each red and yellow bell pepper strips
- 2 packages (about 7 ounces each) precooked/instant udon noodles, cooked as directed on package
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced (optional)
- Place 1 teaspoon of the peppercorns in large resealable plastic bag. Close tightly. Pound with a rolling pin, mallet or heavy skillet until coarsely cracked. Mix with sea salt. Press seasoning mixture onto both sides of chicken breast. Grill over medium-high heat 6 to 8 minutes per side or until chicken is cooked through, turning frequently. Keep warm.
- Place remaining 2 teaspoon peppercorns and lemon grass stalks in the center of a piece of cheesecloth or a coffee filter. Tie tightly with a long piece of string.
- Heat sesame oil in large saucepan on medium heat. Add bok choy and shitake mushrooms; cook and stir 2 minutes. Add chicken stock, sake, ginger and the spice bundle; bring to boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer 5 minutes. Add snow peas and bell peppers; simmer 5 minutes longer or until tender-crisp. Remove spice bundle.
- Slice chicken diagonally into thin slices. Divide noodles, broth mixture and chicken evenly among soup bowls. Sprinkle with green onions, if desired.